Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My opnions on Lawson / Intentia software merger

I got a message requesting my thoughts on the purchase of Intentia Software by Lawson. I have not commented on this previously, because Intentia does not offer anything in the HR space – they are a pure CRM, MRP, SCM play as far as I can tell.

As you already know from previous posts, I don’t think Lawson is a great company. Their software is ok, but that’s about it. That said – the Intentia purchase was another bad idea. Intentia cannot give Lawson much from the financial standpoint. They operate in different core geographic areas, Lawson didn’t buy great new technology, they didn’t buy a huge install base, they can’t convert any of the Intentia clients over to the Lawson platform, and there are basically no operational synergies. It’s a small player buying another small player and getting almost nothing out of it. Anyway – just another example of Lawson not executing well.